Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fitting The Pieces Together

After having examined other learning theories over the past few weeks, my view on how I learn has shifted. I have a broader understanding of what I do as a learner, how I approach my own learning, how I prefer my learning environment to be, and most certainly have a greater understanding of various learning theories. Six weeks ago, I indicated behaviorism and cognitivism to be most closely related to how I learn. While I still do believe those theories apply to learning in my earlier days, I believe cognitivism, definitely connectivism and aspects of adult learning theory most closely describe how I best learn today.

In regards to cognitivism, as outlined by Ertmer and Newby in “Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism”, aspects of cognitivism that align with my learning tendencies and preferences include:  changes between states of knowledge rather than changes in the probability of a particular response; the learner being an active participant in their own learning; understanding how to apply knowledge in a different context; and being predisposed to learning. I believe all of these aspects are involved in my current endeavors in this MSIDT program, in particular applying concepts to different set of circumstances. With the wide range of examples an circumstances offered for various concepts and theories, in addition to the wide range of backgrounds and experience brought in from other classmates, I believe I have been able to apply various concepts towards different sets of circumstances. This also has enabled me to have a greater grasp on the concept or theory involved.

In the online article “Adult Learning”, Conlan, Grabowski, and Smith write about andragogy and some primary aspects of adult learning theory that are familiar to me as a learner. The first deals with learning being problem-centered and the learner wanting to know immediate applications of the knowledge. In most everything covered in this program thus far, I always want to know the relevance of and specific applications for what is being learned. I also am primarily motivated by internal as opposed to external factors. I seek to be challenged and to better coordinate future learning environments for myself as an instructor and most certainly for the students with whom I will work. In this same article, the authors point out experiential learning. I believe this concept is definitely part of who I am as a learner. My learning necessitates a combination of “show me” and most importantly “involve me”. I not only want, but need to be a part, in a hands-on manner, of the learning in which I am involved.

The greatest impact on my own awareness of learning incorporates much of connectivism. Having not previously considered the extent and value of a learning network, in the past three weeks I’ve become aware of not only how important a learning network is, of greater significance is my preference for this type of connectivism learning environment. Siemens, in the video “Connectivism” describes connectivism as integrating social networks, information, and technology. For a long time, I have been drawn towards technological tools and environments, without a clear understanding of their impact on my learning and others. When combined with social and information components of one’s learning network, it seems as though there would be endless possibilities. Davis, Edmunds, and Kelly-Bateman, in their article “Connectivism”, stress the importance of networks and developing learning communities in order that ideas be shared with others. Siemens, in his blog “Connectivism” points out the value of blending the traditional knowledge spaces with new, emerging knowledge spaces. He continues by identifying people, or learners wanting to participate, and if allowed their space to do so, will create and innovate through their expression of their own ideas and concepts.

My final thoughts for this post are all about technology. As mentioned previously, I felt I had a predisposition towards technology. This is actually one of the reasons I ultimately chose this program and Walden University to further my academic goals. Upon completion of this past week’s content and readings in Johnson, Levine, and Smith’s “The Horizon Report”, for this course, I have determined technology will be a huge factor in my continued learning. With the emerging technologies of mobiles, cloud computing, geo-everything, personal web, semantic-aware applications, and smart objects, I will certainly be needing to learn much more about these various technological tools and more importantly, how to specifically incorporate them in my own learning and future instructional design efforts. Perhaps this is the adult learner in me! I do foresee technological tools being invaluable in my continued search for, creation of, and the sharing with others of information, and in establishing greater links between the various aspects of my learning network.


References

Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K. (2003). Adult learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Adult_Learning.

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism.

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50–71.

Johnson, L., Levine, A., & Smith, R. (2009). The Horizon Report (2009 ed.). Austin, TX: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2009/.

Siemens, G. Connectivism. [Video Production]. Laureate Education, Inc.

Siemens, G. (2010, August 19). Connectivism. [Blog]. Retrieved from http://www.connectivism.ca/.

No comments:

Post a Comment